среда, 20. јануар 2016.

CON #5: Overall mentality

We might be hospitable to foreigners, but when it comes to a bigger picture of our mentality, things are slightly different and not so positive.
As I said earlier, Serbs are too traditional and narrow-minded sometimes. They refuse to change and most of the stuff that's new to them is bad 'by default'. I say 'them' because I don't fit into this kind of mentality at all. I believe it has to do with the fact that I was born in another country, thus come from a different background. Serbs from Croatia differ so much from Serbs in Serbia (it would take too long for me to describe these differences, so I will not get into it).
Here you will also encounter different mentalities in different parts of the country, but then again there are some characteristics that are the same for all of the people. So yes, serbian mentality can be described in a way.

Since this is a con post, I will talk about negative features of it. What Serbs have in common is this great defensiveness, malice and pride. I will use this opportunity to partially quote one of our greatest geographers Jovan Cvijic: According to John Cvijic in our country, under specific historical and cultural conditions, formed the distinctive ethno-psychological type. This type is formed in the central part of the Balkan Peninsula (in the fertile valleys of the Morava and Vardar rivers), and refers to the the helpless Orthodox population that has for centuries been exposed to the Turkish looting and mistreatment. This constant fear of the enemy and pressure from the tendency to maintain bare life developed subservient and servile mentality of the oppressed people. Main features of this kind of mentality are: fearfulness, fatalism, malice, distrust, pragmatism, trickery, selfishness, sensuality, blind loyalty to master, humility to the powerful and harsh treatment of the powerless, and the moral mimicry.

Have you recognized some of the stuff I talked about in my previous posts? Fearfulness - of change. Fatalism - believing they can't do anything to change current situation, thus giving up and being absolutely passive or 'going with the flow'. Malice (spite) to others, especially if they happen to be your compatriots or neighbours. Trickery - lying and cheating others. And the rest of the features are quite clear. Serbs also love to gossip a lot and judge others. They will rarely mind their own business and will try to stick their nose into everything. Television and things that media is serving today aren't helping either. Serbs unfortunately spend most of their free time in front of TV, thus becoming brainwashed and deprived of anything intellectual. Their blind loyalty (to politicians) has made perfect conditions for harsh treatment (of them by the very same politicians). In Serbia, it seems like few people are in control of everything and that the rest have just fallen asleep.

And I think it's about time to wake up.


3 коментара:

  1. Hi Maria. I've read all of your posts. I agree with you on so many levels. I am also working jn Belgrade but I think that Serbia, despite its amazing features, richness and variety, is not making a progress. I hope that there will be better future for young people, who really struggle on so many levels. Anyway, I was thinking of setting a blog for tourists who come in greater numbers in Belgrade and show them some really cool stuff about the city, culture and people. In addition, I would like to get in contact to you, you seem like a really sound, clever and interesting person, with great wits and sence of humor. :) Wish you all the best.

    ОдговориИзбриши
    Одговори
    1. Hey Igor, thank you for taking the time to read my blog and all the nice words. Also, sorry for my late reply, I am not keeping track of it anymore, since it was just a part of my English assignment for college. I think the only way to make things better is to leave, which I am going to do in the near future, because nothing will ever change here, ufortunately. Did you start the blog you mentioned btw? Feel free to contact me if you're still interested. Wish you all the best in whatever you're doing! Cheers!

      Избриши
  2. Hi Marina, Have to respect Serbia's national identity and is a nice place. Please don't let EU try to force their ways onto you. Here in UK our multi culture is a massive failure. UK was once a great country before mass migration which has been at a high cost to of many of our jobs which have now been given to black people and Muslims as preferential treatment to integrate faster and not on ability or having qualifications to get the job. We can now only dream of days in UK of how it was in older days before immigration. I been to Serbia and love it's ways and love Orthodox principles. Here my religion too has been hijacked by Muslims interfering in UK politics,(there are mosques being built everywhere now here) and the EU forcing their liberal ways.

    ОдговориИзбриши