петак, 22. јануар 2016.

CON #4: No security

By this I mostly mean no social security as well as security in lets say... better future. Or any kind of future at all. Welfare here is at a very low level. Calling it 'welfare' is even an overstatement.

I remember when my family and I came here from Croatia (during war in the 90s) as refugees and I am aware that the state was pretty much falling apart back then, but the help we were getting was very, very small (it was in the form of food - like one kg of rice, but even that eventually stopped). We had to manage on our own, with the occasional help from our cousins. As the time passed by, the wars ended, we still weren't getting any help fom the state. As we didn't have anywhere else to go, we stayed here and life since then was pretty much a struggle all the time, especially for my parents. We lived in very bad appartments, but I was always thankfull and modest no matter what things were like, since I was just a child. But looking at that today, I can't say the things changed much. We still live as tenants, but that isn't the problem. Seems to me like my parents never actually wanted to live and stay here, but were forced to do so. I totally understand them, because this really isn't a country where you can have a bright future, especially if you're in the situation like ours was. My dad never managed to find any decent job here and he soon got tired of it. So today he mainly spends time in Croatia, working. 


Second thing is that there is no security in terms of your future job. Even when you finnish your college, whatever, nobody guarantees that you will be employed in that area. There are many universities here, but sometimes it seems like the knowlegde you earn is of little or no value at all, because you can't really use it in practise. So again, you're pretty much left on your own and have to struggle to acquire certain experience, because everyone will ask for it as soon as you start searching for a job. They want experience here even for the siliest jobs. I remember trying to find a job over the summer and it was so hard to find it. And it was just a seasonal job, nothing serious. I ended up working in a warehouse (for 8 hours) with blisters all over my hands and I got really poorly paid. No wonder why so many young people end up leaving Serbia. They really have no opportunities here, no matter how much they try. As I said, other things play more important role here, like money and connections. Knowlegde? Not that much. I don't want to sound like I'm complaining all the time, you can find a decent job if you try hard enough, but eventually you'll loose your will. Even if you get a decent job, they amount of money you earn will be most certainly questionable. 

Нема коментара:

Постави коментар